About the Cybils Awards
Cybils Awards Mission
The Cybils Awards aims to recognize the children’s and young adult authors and illustrators whose books combine the highest literary merit and popular appeal. If some la-di-dah awards can be compared to brussels sprouts, and other, more populist ones to gummy bears, we’re thinking more like organic chicken nuggets. We’re yummy and nutritious.
- August 21: Call for judges
- Sept. 11: Deadline for judging application
- Sept. 18: Judges announced.
- Oct. 1: Nominations open
- Oct. 15: Nominations close
- October 16-25: Publisher submissions
- Oct. 1-Dec. 29: Round 1 reading period
- December 1: Round 1 review copy deadline
- Dec. 29: Short lists due
- Jan. 1: Finalists announced
- Jan. 2-Feb. 12: Round 2 reading period
- Feb. 12: Winners list due
- Feb. 14: Winners announced
- Book Apps (Currently Inactive)
- Early Chapter Books
- Easy Readers
- Fiction Picture Books & Board Books
- Graphic Novels
- Young Adult
- Middle-Grade Fiction
- Elementary/Middle Grade
- Junior High/Senior High
- Speculative Fiction
- Young Adult
- Young Adult Fiction
After nominations close, here’s what happens:
- We place all the authors’ names into a hat and pass our magic wand over it. After the rabbit pops out, we eat him and announce the winner, whom we have selected at random;
- Not really! Just testing you. We have panelists in each category who eat the rabbit. No, er, they read the books. They have until December 29 for that, which we hope and pray will be enough time. On Jan. 1 we’ll post the finalists;
- From Jan. 1 to mid-February, a second group of judges will read all the finalists and pick the winners, which we’ll announce on Valentine’s Day.
See? Easy. And no actual rabbits will be harmed in the process.